Call for Nominations: 2020 Class of the Department of Medicine Academy of Master Clinicians
The Department of Medicine’s overriding mission is to ensure the delivery of excellent clinical care in its associated hospitals, and the preparation of future physician leaders that will help carry this mission forward throughout Canada and the World. Within the Department, certain faculty members serve as exemplars of this mission, providing leadership in patient care that elevates and enlarges the profession.
In 2020, we will induct the second class of the Academy of Master Clinicians, honouring those clinicians who have demonstrated sustained clinical expertise and the highest standard of patient care. The Academy of Master Clinicians reflects those clinicians who are recognized by colleagues and the medical community for expert diagnostic acumen and an ability to confront challenging cases, while demonstrating humility, respect and civility for patients and colleagues.
Nominations are welcome from current full-time clinical faculty members of the Department of Medicine. The faculty member serves as a primary nominator, and assembles additional nominators to include: two colleagues of the nominee, a trainee, and a patient or other non-physician, such as an allied health professional. Self-nomination is not permitted.
A nomination packet must include the following:
- Completed nomination form. Click here to download the form.
- Primary letter of nomination. A letter of support from the primary nominator that speaks to the criteria of the Academy of Master Clinicians, 1,000 words.
- Letters of support by other nominators. Support letters by the four additional nominators that speak to the criteria. 500 words each. To ensure a fair and equal review process, any additional letters of support beyond the four stipulated, will not be considered.
The Master Clinician should demonstrate excellence in all domains. It is highly recommended that all nomination letters address each of the criteria below in turn.
- Consistently provides the highest standard of patient care
- Demonstrates a scholarly approach to patient care
- Skillful diagnostic acumen
- Able to diagnose diseases that lie outside the normal spectrum of routine encounters
- Called to for challenging cases
Recognized by colleagues and medical community
- A role model
- Humility and modesty
- Consistent demonstration of respect and civility
- The “doctor’s doctor”
Expertise in intrinsic physician roles
- Mastery of Communication
- Mastery of Professionalism
- Individual Patient Advocacy: Takes “extra steps” to provide excellent patient care
Active full-time clinical faculty members of the Department of Medicine with a continuing faculty appointment. No post-humus or post-retirement eligibility. University of Toronto Department of Medicine DDDs and Vice Chairs are not eligible for nomination.
The Department of Medicine is strongly committed to diversity within their communities and especially welcome applications from racialized persons/persons of color, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The deadline for nominations is Friday, February 7, 2020.
Please send all nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org.